I understand for many reasons, you may want or need to look elsewhere for help.  I would encourage you to visit your GP or local NHS Mental Health team in the first instance, however you may find the links below useful.  Please appreciate I'm not responsible for the contents of these websites, but if you have any concerns about any of the information on this page please email me. 



Local NHS Community Mental Health Teams

Barnsley  - 01226 645000

Doncaster  - 01302 798400

Rotherham  - 01709 302670 (24 hour)

Sheffield - 0114 226 3636 (24 hour)



National Helplines

Samaritans - free 24 hour listening service - 116 123 (from landlines and mobiles)

Sane - free support and information - 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm to 10:30pm daily)

Childline  - 0800 1111

National Domestic Violence helpline - 0808 2000 247

Rape Crisis - National Sexual Violence helpline - 0808 802 9999

Shelter - Emergency Housing & Homelessness helpline - 0808 274 1978 (emergencies only please)

Drinkline - national alcohol helpline - 0300 123 1110

Frank - anything to do with recreational/illicit drugs - 0800 776600

Beat - eating disorders -  0808 801 0677

OCD UK  - 03332 127 890



Useful Websites

NHS Direct  - information on mood and mental well-being

Mind - wide variety of information and advice about mental health 

Rethink - wide variety of resources to do with mental health

Mental Health Foundation - information and self-care advice

NHS Self-help workbooks on a variety of mental health issues, published by Northumberland Tyne & Wear NHS

Anxiety UK - information about all forms of anxiety including OCD, PTSD, panic and phobias

Fit For Work - independent Occupational Health advice 

Mental Health Mates - walking-based community group for those suffering mental health issues

Tiny Buddha popular website with a wide variety of inspirational reading & resources with online community forum

Get.gg - online repository of CBT-based self-help materials



Finding a Private Therapist

At present, counselling is not a regulated profession hence anyone can call themsevles a counsellor.  For your own wellbeing and protection, I recommend you check your therapist is registered with an accredited professional body: this ensures they are suitably qualified, insured, and accountable in the event of any problems or complaints.  The Professional Standards Authority maintains the list of accredited counselling associations.


There are numerous websites that advertise listings of counsellors.  Counselling Directory is the most popular and all therapists are vetted to ensure they are qualified and registered.  If you need a particular type of therapist e.g. childrens, couples counsellor, please do a basic postcode search and then use the 'Refine your search' panel to filter by type of therapy and/or type of client. 



Print Print | Sitemap
© Junctions Counselling